“Frozen Pizza? What’s that doing on your blog?” Yes, yes – I can hear you now. Don’t worry; this is not grocery store frozen pizza. This is a how-to for making frozen pizza kits for your own self. And then how to use them also. Check it out – you might even like it…
Ingredients (per kit):
- 1 parbaked pizza crust
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1-2 oz. sliced pepperoni
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- Wrap your pizza crust in plastic wrap and then in foil (this is my tried-and-true method of keeping the consistency of the crust as close to fresh as possible). Freeze.
- Pour your pizza sauce into muffin tins (I have one tin that has ½ cup slots and one that’s smaller. I use the ½ cup version on this one). Freeze.
- Weigh out a couple of ounces of pepperoni on your kitchen scale (or just grab a handful) and seal into a sandwich bag.
- Combine your cheeses in a second sandwich bag.
- Put both sandwich bags into a quart-sized freezer bag. Freeze.
- Once your pizza sauce is thoroughly frozen, you can put 1-cup servings into additional sandwich bags and add them to the freezer bag you already have going.
- Place pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 475°.
- Take all ingredients out of the freezer and place on work surface.
- Put frozen sauce into a prep bowl and microwave for 2 minutes, pausing to stir and break up semi-thawed chunks after the first minute.
- Meanwhile, unwrap foil and plastic wrap from pizza crust and break up any large chunks of frozen cheese by smashing them against the counter.
- Once sauce is thawed, spread it evenly on frozen crust, avoiding the outside 1/2″ to make it easier to hold while eating. Add the pepperoni, slightly overlapping, until the pizza is covered. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan to cover pepperoni.
- Cook pizza until cheese has thoroughly melted and begins to brown in spots (begin checking after 5 minutes).
- Remove pizza from oven and allow it to rest for 3-5 minutes (this is the best way ever to avoid burning the top of your mouth with the first bite).
- Slice and serve (enjoy)!
- You can test how much your own muffin tin holds by filling a liquid measure with exactly 1 cup of water. Pour the water into one spot on your muffin tin until just full. Subtract what’s left in the measuring cup from one, and you’ll know what kind of servings you’ll get out of your muffin tin.
- Frozen pepperoni works ridiculously well on pizza. I actually buy a huge bag of pepperoni at Costco for like $8 and then keep it in the freezer. When we want to make a pizza, we just grab a handful out. Spreading frozen pepperoni does make your hands a little cold, but it lasts so much longer, it’s totally worth it. I don’t like to think about the fact that frozen pepperoni has enough fat to easily peel slices away when things like, say, bacon, stick together when thoroughly frozen. Just eat your pizza.